Week 11
Essential Question: Why Games in Education?
The first time we were asked this question, I ended my blog by saying it boils down to motivation. After eleven weeks of research, I still stand by that statement. According to Michael Matera, “Gamification and game-based learning have the power to amplify what happens in your class” (2015, p. 4). Gamification can take a normal and - dare I say it - boring experience and turn it into something fun and exciting.
Games teach students to push through failure and encourage them to be resilient. As I have said numerous times before, teaching our students to have a growth mindset is at the core of good education. Games are an easy way to foster this way of thinking because the stakes tend to be relatively low and students are more willing to put themselves out there.
Games in the classroom promote 21st century skills. Gamification allows us to “create opportunities for students to explore, practice, and embody skills like confidence, focus, resilience, dependability, curiosity, and empathy while working collaboratively towards a common goal” (Matera, 2015, p. 7).
As someone who is not a “gamer” in the traditional sense, I feel a bit overwhelmed about trying to execute gamification in my classroom. However, through this class I found a desire to implement many of Matera’s elements into what I already do with my students. I doubt I will jump into the world of gamification completely, but I have been able to reflect on how I do use game mechanics and where I could be using them more to motivate my students. Overall, games tend to challenge us and bring us joy, which are two wonderful characteristics that I would like to add more of in my classroom.
Resource:
Matera, M. (2015). Explore Like A Pirate: Gamification and Game-Inspired Course Design to Engage, Enrich, and Elevate Your Learners. San Diego, CA, CA: Dave Burgess Consulting.
The first time we were asked this question, I ended my blog by saying it boils down to motivation. After eleven weeks of research, I still stand by that statement. According to Michael Matera, “Gamification and game-based learning have the power to amplify what happens in your class” (2015, p. 4). Gamification can take a normal and - dare I say it - boring experience and turn it into something fun and exciting.
Games teach students to push through failure and encourage them to be resilient. As I have said numerous times before, teaching our students to have a growth mindset is at the core of good education. Games are an easy way to foster this way of thinking because the stakes tend to be relatively low and students are more willing to put themselves out there.
Games in the classroom promote 21st century skills. Gamification allows us to “create opportunities for students to explore, practice, and embody skills like confidence, focus, resilience, dependability, curiosity, and empathy while working collaboratively towards a common goal” (Matera, 2015, p. 7).
As someone who is not a “gamer” in the traditional sense, I feel a bit overwhelmed about trying to execute gamification in my classroom. However, through this class I found a desire to implement many of Matera’s elements into what I already do with my students. I doubt I will jump into the world of gamification completely, but I have been able to reflect on how I do use game mechanics and where I could be using them more to motivate my students. Overall, games tend to challenge us and bring us joy, which are two wonderful characteristics that I would like to add more of in my classroom.
Resource:
Matera, M. (2015). Explore Like A Pirate: Gamification and Game-Inspired Course Design to Engage, Enrich, and Elevate Your Learners. San Diego, CA, CA: Dave Burgess Consulting.
I think your methodology in implement gamification is spot on. Take what you are comfortable with and introduce it, then add another piece, and then another. I am pretty sure the students will enjoy it and be better off for any bits that you integrate into class. They may have some ideas that will help ease any of the bumps that occur along the way as well, I know mine had lots of suggestions when we started out.
ReplyDeleteGood ideas. No matter how much you do, with a little start you can slowly build up using more and more. To me the big hurdle would be to implement a reward system of some kind that the students will buy into. Good luck.
ReplyDelete